Friday, March 5, 2010

Hot Dogs in the morning

Hot dogs in the morning - it's the breakfast of choice of Frankie. I don't fight it anymore. I don't try to change his mind. I just make it and he eats it. This alone is a battle I don't chose to fight because it's a win-win, the kid eats and I am happy. Hey, I am sure that mustard is no substitute for eating your Wheaties in the morning but if the kid gets something in his stomach other than 3% natural juice found on the apple juice he likes, I am cool with that! In my life, I have chosen that staying sane is not worth a fight over a hot dog...not even at 8:00 in the morning. Now that I think about it, I used to get the worse cravings in the morning for a hot dog when I was pregnant with Frankie - I get he had it coming! Perception is all I am talking about here. When you look at things from a different perspective, a battle becomes an opportunity. An opportunity to learn, an opportunity to teach and overall, an opportunity to appreciate the small blessings in your life. When I see Frankie asking for a hot dog for breakfast, I don't see a spoiled kid trying to get his way, I see a miracle. My kid is stating a preference, regardless of what's appropriate for the time of the day. I have had the argument of "it's not a breakfast item" but that does not fly, his response, "...but I like it" - ant that alone is a lesson in itself. Not only my child with Autism speaks, but he makes sense, he has preferences and he communicates....all the things I was told he would have difficulty doing and might not be able to accomplish. Well, this deserves a celebration and there is nothing that spells out p-a-r-t-y like a hot dog in the morning!

No comments: